Friday, November 21, 2008

No More Gas - Taking the plunge


Something I have been thinking about a lot lately, is our use of gasoline.

This summer, at Hybidfest, I joked around for a photo of me drinking straight from a gas pump.

The sad part is that it is a fair metaphor.

We really all are addicted to gasoline. Most of us won't admit that. Or, if we do, we just think it's just the way things are.

The truth is, automotive gasoline use is a deeply embedded part of our modern American culture. NOT using gasoline seems pretty far out there. Clearly, only tree-hugging hippies would try to completely stop using gasoline. "Good for them to try, but that's not my thing."

As slick as hybrid cars are, they still use gasoline. I know guys who can get as good fuel economy out of a Geo Metro as somebody else would from a Prius. Both drivers are still using a limited resource, which has far-reaching political, social, and economic consequences.

Stop the world, I'm getting off. Well, getting off oil at least.

Here it is.

"I, Ben Nelson, do officially declare that I will do everything in my power to no longer use petroleum for personal transportation, and to minimize use for all other purposes and special occasions! Within ONE YEAR from today, I will no longer be a gas-guzzler!"

Basically, get off gas completely for commuting. Minimize all other use.

This will be a challenge. The closest big city is 30 miles away. I work all over the place, on a non-standard schedule. I have no train or bus service in my area. I'm not worrying about any of those things right now.

For now, just deciding is a good place to start.

1 comment:

  1. good on you Ben. i liked your thoughts

    when i look at my own commute and ask people about theirs it is easy for me to see how many families could delete gasoline from their lives. without any sort of major inconvenience either!

    keep pressing on ben you are one of the people inspiring me and i appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete